CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 22, 2008

My hero, Tom Delonge

Mostly everyone knows who Tom Delonge is. But for those who don't, he was the founder and lead guitarist/vocals for the former punk band, Blink-182. He then formed a side band called Box Car Racer. Soon after, Blink-182 was abandoned. Both Tom Delonge and bassist Mark Hoppus went their seperate ways, never to talk to each other again. Mark formed a band called, +44 with Blink-182 drummer, Travis Barker. Tom went out to make something better of himself. He formed a band called, Angels & Airwaves (AVA), with Box Car Racer's guitarist David Kennedy. So that's who Tom is and where he's at now. But many people ask me, "Why is Tom your hero?" Well, to to answer that question, it is simply because of who he is now. Blink-182 was a very talented band, but immaturity was always occuring throughout their career. Tom and Mark would run around naked, write songs about having sex with a dog, and tell all the penis jokes possible. There was nothing mature about that band. But in 2003, all of that had changed. Their last album contained no immaturity whatsoever. The reason was because Tom felt the need to grow up. He wanted to make a change and start something beautiful. If you're a Blink fan then you know what happened next. At the time, Tom was married and was about to have his daughter, Ava. He also has a boy named, Jonas. Tom needed to go home and spend time with his wife and child. So Tom decided to make a difference. His new band, Angels & Airwaves, is more of a serious band with a spiritual message. Believe it or not, Tom is a Christian. He was raised by religious parents. I was reading the thank you's in the back of the album cover and Tom thanks God for every opportunity he was given. Also, whenever I see a picture of Tom or a music video, he is always wearing his wedding band. That shows true devotion to his wife. The point is is that he went from a skater punk to a well respected, father, husband, and musician. That proves no matter how famous you may be you can still be happy and live your life for the ones you love. There is always a time to make a difference. Most musicians are doing drugs, having sex with various women, going through divorces, and going through rehab. Tom still has that potty mouth, but he says it is a terrible habit that can't seem to go away. But besides that, he is a musician that deserves a lot of respect. His music has impacted and inspired many teens to get off their feet and make a difference in their own life. That is my hero, Tom Delonge.

17 comments:

Juan said...

I will agree..he has changed a lot. But he's a Christian? that I didn't know.

Anonymous said...

Juan,If you notice a bunch of his songs are about Jesus. One example is "A Little Is Enough"; hey,go look up the lyrics,completely about Jesus.

xXTraitorXx said...

Tom has inspired me to pick up the guitar. I now want to make a difference with music. I have listened to all of his music and it has made such a difference in my life. I see many similarity's between Tom and I also that I don't feel like explaining.

I would also like to say he is my hero.

Anonymous said...

We all know Tom as Tom, but for the ones that share the respect and true love to Tom as a person and musician, this article is just truely amazing. Blink is back, i cant wait to see how the music goes with the changes and growing up!

Anonymous said...

i love blink favorite band. just hope tom keeps his morals and still is the strong husband christian .

Anonymous said...

Angels and Airwaves sucked. And blink-182 is back together.
All there songs are amazing, and i wouldn't say they were "immature". There songs were amazing.

Anonymous said...

Angels and airwaves will never compare to blink-182. And the way you talk about him is kinda insulting. HIM AND MARK ARE TALKING AGAIN. Blink is back, maybe you should update this cuz you kinda sound like a retard. If you really TRULY a blink fan you would know this stuff.. ha thinks makes me laugh.

p.s. totally agree with the person above. Blinks songs were amazing, and funny. I wouldn't change them for anything. I'm glad angels and airwaves are gone cuz there music was terrible, and will never compare the the original blink 182.

Anonymous said...

Tom was the BEST when he was punk. When he was in angels and airwaves he was trying to be something he truly wasn't. "Skater punk?" He was PUNK.
and he WAS devoted to his wife while he was in blink 182.
I hate how people automatically judge someone just because of how they dress, thats messed up.

Basically everyone who wrote on this page is a stupid fucking bible thumper.

Anonymous said...

Lets keep the the name calling and the pointing finger to a minimum. I think it's cool that Tom is a christian, and whatever he decides is cool with me. As for Blink 182 and Angles and Airwaves, they are two different sounds, it's like trying to compare rap and techno, you can't.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but he did and does not have a boy names jonas.

Amber said...

This is a truly an amazing essay you've got here. I am not going to join the back and forth comments you can see here...Because even though this would obviously cause some controversial comments, you knew that and you risked it, so kudos to you. Thomas Delonge was absolutely amazing in blink-182, but I am not a blink worshiper or an AVA hater. Yes, I miss the younger, funnier version of him, but he had to grow up. Angels & Airwaves moves people with their music. They do it in ways unexplainable, and I'm pretty sure you felt it, too. That was the goal Tom always had; to move people through his music. He reached his goal, and he is on top of the world right now. And as I type this very long comment on a touch screen that is hard to manage, I realized that Thomas Delonge inspired many people, including you and me. If he saw this he would be very proud of you, and probably very modest.

Anonymous said...

Yeah check out my blog for details on "A Little's Enough."
You chose your beliefs or whatever, let's respect one another plox and not call each other bible thumpers and what not. And somebody said AVA is gone? I'm pretty sure they just released a new album, I don't think they broke up.

Unknown said...

just fyi just because someone uses the word God doesn't make them a christian. If you looked at it from that perspective you could as easily say that he was a jew. JS.
Plus even if he is a christian. I don't think he is one of those cold cut reads the bible all the kind type of christians especially considering the lyrics to just one of his songs especially when all the other meanings behind his songs outweigh that one big time.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so this person does NOT sound like a retard, seeing as the blog was written before blink got back together, so maybe read it in the past tense? i agree with everything mentioned in the blog, including the fact that Tom is Christian. Not only one song refers to God, there are multiple. A Littles Enough, Lifeline, Letters to God, Secret Crowds, etc. Tom was immature, look at the song Family Reunion. That doesn't mean I don't love the immature side of him, but he is a grown man, he's matured now. Angels & Airwaves makes amazing music, it's more cultured and polished than Blink 182. Blink 182 is back together, and only time will tell how it will be different to what it once was. Everyone changes, everyone grows up. It's life.

Unknown said...

AVA is my favorite band, but blink and boxcar racer are really good too, but im glad tom changed

caleb said...

what that anonymous guy says about this essay being insulting and stupid for not mentionning blink's reunion is irrelevant. obviously, this was written during their hiatus.

Anonymous said...

I do not think Angels and Airwaves sucks. I actually really like that band, as well as box car racer, and +44. I would say Blink-182 is my favorite band, but their immature messages were getting old. I even thought their silly penis jokes at their most recent tour was a disappointment for me, but that's what makes their name. I really can appreciate what new things have come out of the members growing and maturing. My only conflict of interest is how much their new album sounds like separate pieces put together. Some things sound more like +44 and some sound like Angels and Airwaves. Will there be another CD that sounds like a collaborated sound, because these sound like two sounds put on one album? What do you think will come next? well, idk... but I really liked this article times a million. I do like the lyrics of their new stuff (it's to die for).